Thursday, March 30, 2006

Lots Happening

This morning I called Brebner about an English teaching job, and then faxed them my CV. After that I went to Cyclopede to exchange handle bars and meet Justus to discuss the GQ story. After an hour nursing an Iced tea and reading the newspaper (oil is at $64), I went home, and then met Bok and Charl. How do you spell Addis Ababba? Charl made the comment that I look quite young for 34. Will be seeing him just tomorrow, as he is riding the stage between Ficksburg and Bethlehem and then retiring.

Was somewhat suprised that they thought the story was excellent - Justus said it was 'so so and Ronel said also excellent, but I feel now it starts too slowly and ends too suddenly. I've emailed Dylan to ask him if he wants to have a look, or I can provide him with a finished, polished product, in about 2 weeks. I kind've hopes he offers to have a look because it's really a huge story, and not very obvious what will work best. But I have a few ideas and will be reading Bok's diary while on the Sendingfietstoer, and slowly absorbing the details. I'll stew with it and then produce my masterpiece.

Yes, the 1000km, 12 day cycle tour departs tomorrow. The cold weather makes me disinclined to go. But I know I really need this, for my body and spirt - both of which have been neglected after being so mindbased (writing) for the past few weeks.

Louise also called me (from Reporter.co.za) to say over R800 has been paid into my account. A handy bit of pocket money.

Jenny also forwarded me a useful looking position at the university, but I don't have time to hand in my CV, and the deadline is tomorrow.

Dr. Brokensha offered to put in a good word for me at various schools, so I emailed her and asked her to call Brebner on my behalf. A bit cheeky perhaps but need every bit of help.

I'm missing a swim with the guys - 1pm - 2pm in the heated Stadium Pool. Too bad, but I will lose swimming fitness anyway over the next 12 days, and the focus now is on the outdoors, on cycling, on losing weight, and get spiritually strong again.

Things at home are still pretty quiet. The Jeep emerged after weeks in the dungeon. Not sure why. At the rate it hasn't been used, the engine is sure to pack up even quicker - rats will build a nest or something.

On reporter.co.za I've got two published pictures, ironically enough both Allan's kids on one day. I also quickly wrote a piece called Oil on the ascendancy. Have been in the habit of producing lots of content for them, I might miss that while I am on the road, but cycling every day is going to be a worthwhile experience.

No comments: