Friday, March 24, 2006

Interview: Francois Vorster


Francois Vorster is a legend in the Free State, and in triathlon circles. He has been involved in the sport of triathlon for at least a decade, and is one of South Africa’s best. This year he was 2nd in his age group and 4th overall at the South African Triathlon Championships in Richard’s Bay. I spoke to him shortly before he left South Africa.

Did you expect to make the SA team this year?

Yes. I thought I could do it. I also wanted to [make the team] because I had planned on going to France this March, and the World Championships are next door, in Switzerland.

Have you done it before?

Yes, the last ITU* event was also in Switzerland, in Lucerne. Before that I went to Perth, and before that Cleveland [Ohio] and I’ve also participated in Cancun [Mexico]. I’ve been to the world Ironman Championship in Hawaii, and I’ve also raced in Denmark.

Was it easier to qualify this year?

It’s been the same. Maybe I was in slightly better shape in the past.

Is triathlon in South Africa gaining momentum?

No, it’s losing momentum.

What about the Free State?

It’s the same. We don’t get much exposure. The organizers don’t see [triathlon] as a sport in its own right. Sometimes they postpone a race because they find an athletics race is on the same day. We used to have triathlons at Loch Logan, but now they’re held far beyond the city limits, so no one sees us compete. They should try to bring the races back, and have them at the Waterfront. There must be a way to clean the water before it gets into the area, and [races] will bring hundreds of people to the shops [at the Waterfront]. It will add some color and vibrancy to Bloemfontein.

Do you have a sponsor?

No.

You’re going to France – tell us about that.

I'm learning french. If all goes well, I’m leaving with my family on the 15th of March. We’re going to Annecy, which is between France and Switzerland. It’s 40km from Geneva. We’re going to help out at a church there. We’ll be supporting the leaders and growing the church membership.

What’s next after the World Championship?

I’d like to train and compete with the triathlon club in Annecy. Some of the Tour de France guys train there too. And I’d like to race all over Europe.

Any tips for someone wanting to get into triathlon?

Never think you can’t do it. It’s possible. And don’t take it too seriously.

And tips for pros?

When you race, race. When you train, train. Never race while you’re training. I do train hard, but you’ve got to train smart.

When will you be back in South Africa?

From the 10th of December, for a month. Je ne cais pas. We’ll see.

Last question. How has Christianity helped you in triathlon?

Whenever I race I can feel God’s presence, and I speak to him while I’m racing. It doesn’t matter if things are going well or not, I am just always grateful for the wonderful opportunity to testify about God’s goodness.

*International Triathlon Union
thys@zulpa.co.za

No comments: