Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Why Ronge is still the Right Man for the job of 'Reviewer'


I've already referred to Barry Ronge's review of the 'Hansie' movie, but I neglected to mention perhaps the most important point. Ronge brings both dignity and gravitas to his review in a way I don't believe I have seen in one other review.

We are talking about a very well respected South African hero who, today, is dead. I have had many conversations with people on the topic, and on every occasion once a certain amount of fact [I've read the biography] is injected into the conversation, people grow more measured and respectful in their comments.

I think the focus of people on the topic of Hansie's innocence/shame/culpability says a lot about the sort of glasses they look through every day. I have to say, it doesn't speak well of the average South African.
clipped from www.thetimes.co.za

You cannot accuse the film of not declaring its intentions. Within the first 10 seconds it proclaims Hansie as a national hero. As the film ends, there is another dedication reminding us that in the most recent poll of the 100 Most Influential People in South Africa, Hansie Cronjé figured in 11th spot, suggesting that South Africans have learned to look beyond Hansie’s criminal acts and are now celebrating his essential virtues.

That is the frame in which this film portrait is displayed.

The film does not shirk or whitewash any part of Hansie’s involvement in the crimes that ended his career, nor does it attempt to lay blame elsewhere.

That honesty, especially for a South African audience, makes it a film that you can easily watch with interest and also some enjoyment.


blog it


You can read my movie review here, and the plagiarised form here.

No comments: