Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Class Conscious

Oprah said something interesting today. That class can often be determined based on peoples':

-weight
- teeth
- dialect

While in the past, being a heavy weight tended to be a predicter of wealth (and opulence), now the reverse is true.

That said, I feel like I am in the middle ground because though I had extensive orthodontics my teeth are still skew, I'm getting heavier - it seems - every year (but very aware of it and working against it) and as for dialect, well I think that's fair. I seem to speak with unaccented English. Today one of my kids asked me: "Sir, can you speak Afrikaans." More years in this town and I may pick up the dreaded Bloemmie English accent.

In Prof Raftery's class today an Asian girl sat in the seat in front of mine. I asked her something about tutorials (since I hadn't prepared mine), and then found out she is South Korean, went to Saint Michael's (same school as my sister). I asked her (Sophie) if I could interview her, so I can at last demonstrate to Koreans (and Asians) who have never set foot on the African continent (and obviously never laid eyes on any in situ Africans either).

Sophie has just sms'ed me now to say that I am welcome to interview her 'any time', so watch this space.

Also heard the news today that since Miss Myburgh will be taking over my grade 11 pupils (who become matriculants next year), that leaves me with no one to teach, and yes, you guessed it, possibly no job at all. I spoke to the Principal about this and he seemed reassuring enough until he got to his last sentence, which was: "The Department does intend to shed at least 1 post."
So there are some implications there. On my way out I mentioned that I'm very 'open' to teaching English.

Now the wisdom of not buying a car (and being responsible for 10-20 odd instalments of R1000 each) has really manifested itself in my mind.

I also called my lawyer today and asked him to begin the process of suing Heartland (for more the R7500 they owe me) since they are now 'officially' in default.

Before my first class today I had a word with a pretty young teacher next door who seemed a bit out of sorts. Shortly after asking her if she was okay, she burst into tears. She said she just couldn't face the class she was about to teach. I hope this illustrates the collective situation we teachers are in.

I need to swim again soon. After swimming to Jean Marie, I feel like I miss the feeling of the water moving over me. After all, it is a kind of flying.

Quote: put your heart into it and your body will follow

No comments: