Monday, September 26, 2005

Spirituality 101: Find the Life Underneath Your Life Situation

by Ekchart Tolle

I don't see how I can be free now. As it happens, I am extremely unhappy with my life at the moment. This is a fact, and I would be deluding myself to convince myself that all is well when it definitely isn't. To me, the present moment is very unhappy; it is not liberating at all. What keeps me going is the hope or possibility of some improvement in the future.

You think that your attention is in the present when it's actually taken up completely by time. You cannot be both unhappy and fully present in the Now.
What you refer to as your "life" should more accurately be called your "life situation." It is psychological time: past and future. Certain things in the past didn't go the way you wanted them to go. You are still resisting what happened in the past, and now you are resisting what is. Hope is what keeps you going, but hope keeps you focused on the future, and this continued focus perpetuates your denail of the Now and therefore your unhappiness.

To be continued.

No comments: