Monday, September 26, 2005

The Falling Blind of Madu


 Posted by PicasaA sleep-walking zombie walked into Carrefour today and somehow managed to find superglue and double-sided tape, and remain alert enough to spot a Canadian also still suffering from similarly shell shocking exposures....a condition known as HAGWON.

Allalie says I must remember a huge bunch of us are going out this Saturday. Or is it Friday? I told her I managed to download 3Eleven's Love Song. Pretty good.

After chatting to Allalie I ran down the escalator - the wrong way - to get to the food floor. The spicy kimchi-bokenpap I'd eaten (just after my foray into the hardware section on the third floor) was still burning my tongue, and when I pulled up my shirt, pieces of kimchi had burned a hole through the skin of my pregnant stomach, and pieces of white and green kimchi started dripping on the floor. Next acrid smoke rose up, and the kimchi acid began to eat through the cement. Soon a hole had bruned right through almost 4 feet of cement. I looked through the hole and saw that a gloop of kimchi ooze was dripping onto a pink scoop of Bask Robbins icecream. Next, a small mouth gulped down a spoonful of strawberry and kimchi gloop.
I glanced over my shoulder for a stray alien, then, not seeing one, tucked in my shirt and got cracking.

Shopping on a full tummy is the best way to shop. I managed to not even buy tomatoes.

I have managed to fix the Falling Blind of Madu with double sided tape. I almost pulled the entire thing down when I, still half asleep, attempted to open the blind, but must have pulled the wrong way and when nothing happened pulled harder and harder until I pulled the one side right off its fitting under the ceiling. This 3m double sided tape is really Tough Stuff. So far I haven't needed to use the superglue.

I still feel really ragged after a long, irritating day. Not sure how many times I bellowed the word SHURRUP only to get about a two second reprieve followed by more waves of chattering.
I gave each class a short questionaire today, with questions about the weekend (What did you do?/What was your favorite part of the weekend?). It's a pleasure when the students say, "Teacher, help me." It's not a pleasure when a kid who hasn't written a single squiggle in twenty five minutes, says his first English words, and those words are, "Teacher, clock."

Speaking of which, I am working on an exit strategy. Not sure whether I can bare another month of this. Like Pisa, I might just topple over if I am allowed to stanjd around in the same place for too much longer. Will try to have things prepared so that if it comes to that, I can make good my escape.

No comments: