Friday, July 29, 2005

What the F

Not sure what is going on in Korea. Walking around town there are a lot of T-shirts that brazenly shout the full 4 letter word in a variety of mantras. I remember being in Botswana in the 1990's and a young black kid was wearing a shirt that said FUCK BEING NORMAL.
I see language as a kind of an art, and I see foul language as foul, and vulgar. It has its place, but not on t-shirts. Not sure whose idea it is, but this as a fashion statement does a disservice to the Koreans. It's just sleazy.

Had dinner with Sun Young and she pulled out a CNN article about swine flu emerging in China. Why is it that there's always a new killer disease coming out of China. Even as far away as South Africa, we bear the brunt of Asian flus during winter. What the HELL are they doing on their farms?
After dinner the waitress brought us free tea and cake. I was really stuffed at the end of the meal.

It's been raining a lot here. The air is very damp and sort of misty tonight.
Going to hideout in my apaertment tonight. Read. On Saturday night the rugby's broadcast in a bar, so a few of us are going to that.

Right now Corneli is winging her way to Thailand. Good for her. She hasn't once travelled out of Korea during a vacation, so I think it's about time, and well deserved too.
She's going to an area called Krabi. I went through it. It's not far from Ko Phi Phi - some islands I visited twice while I was there. Should be a lovely place to unwind.

I've been asked to write an article on somewhere 'exotic' for a South African magazine. Not sure whether to write about Malaysia, Singapore, the Philippines or Thailand. All are special in their own right, for vastly different reasons.

4 days left of my vacation left.

No comments: