Tuesday, July 19, 2005

What Drives You? What is my Purpose?


What is your purpose? Have you ever thought about that? Everything has a purpose (in the 2nd Matrix this subject is hit on really well). So what is yours?

Mine, in terms of specific missions, seems to fluctuate and change. In one season it may be doing the Ironman, in another, to work on some writing, in another, to lose weight, in another, to save a certain amount of money. But I am not talking about goals. My present overriding goal is to be back in South Africa on around December 10. To do the half Ironman this coming weekend (no time specified, the goal is simply to compete). But what about the broader paradigm, the guiding reason for me being here?

I see my identity as being an artist (particularly a writer). This appears to be the truest way to see myself, because I know myself as someone very visual, imaginative and creative, but also moody, emotional and sometimes inconsistent.
But that's identity, what is my purpose. Is my life purpose driven, or driven by anger, or guilt, or a need to please, or for approval.
My purpose: to inspire others. That's it. One of the ways I do that now is through teaching, and I am finding that my current venue doesn't fulfill me in this respect nearly enough. My mission in broader terms is to inspire others with passion, vision and insight. That may make me in the broadest sense a Communicator, a Messenger, a teacher, a coach, a motivator, or even just a manager. It may also mean I write and communicate in various ways, messages, pictures, words, images, that convey something inspirational.

I hope this website will continue to serve that primary purpose of lifting the spirits of those who read it.

No comments: