Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Oprah - You are not your fat ass, but you are still you - so do something about it

You are you. You are your accomplishments. You are the amazing friendships that you have built around you. And you are your body. Losing weight and looking good is a definite way to live happier, be healthier, and feel better. We all know it is also more attractive.

The key is not to treat the condition negatively. IOW - not 'I am fat'. 'I am exercising to get in shape." Identify with what you need to do in order to be...the person we all hope...you're truly going to be.
clipped from shine.yahoo.com
oprah-cover.jpg
"I'm embarrassed," she writes. "I can't believe that after all these years, all the things I know how to do, I'm still talking about my weight. I look at my thinner self and think, 'How did I let this happen again?"' (Source)
How sad is it that the richest woman in show business, arguably one of the most inspiring success stories for anyone who has ever tried to start something from nothing, is measuring her successes by the stupid number on a scale? How sad is it that an arbitrary number like
"200" would be the knell of failure? And what kind of example is she setting now for people who are, say, 200 pounds or more, and now have just been told by Oprah that their weight is a "failure" or "disappointing."

NVDL: Except that I am also battling weight loss and we only have ourselves to blame when we're not successful. To lose weight it's simple - use up more energy than you take in. Simple, not always easy.

blog it

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's not just a number. Weight gain is usually the result of being undiciplined in one's eating and exercising and that is a good reason to be ashamed - been there, dont it , got the t shirt!