Thursday, October 22, 2009

Nicole Kidman has testified before a congressional hearing into violence against women

SHOOT: Violence against woman is a scandal. I know of a few incidents that are closer to home than I'd like to admit, but there are also well known incidents involving Chris Rock and the like.
So first, especially in South Africa, we have to admit that this is a serious problem. Today I experienced some kind of backlash from this. An old lady crashed into my car after rear ending into a pillar. I sternly demanded that she get out the car, and told the security to prevent her from driving lest she damage anything else and put others in danger. A blonde women then raced to her defense, accusing me of verbally bullying her. I guess smashing into cars and infrastructure is gentle nudging, and fine, since she was a woman? But confronting her, as a man, is unacceptable. This blonde lady also said, "You're not a man." So just saying, that sort of men-hate backlash isn't healthy either.
clipped from www.news24.com
Washington - Nicole Kidman testified before a US congressional panel on violence against women, conceding that Hollywood probably has contributed to the problem by portraying women as weak sex objects.
However, the Academy Award winner said she is not interested those kinds of demeaning roles, adding that the movie industry also has made an effort to contribute to solutions for ending the violence.
Kidman testified on Wednesday before a House Foreign Affairs subcommittee that is considering legislation to deal with violence against women overseas through humanitarian relief efforts and grants to local organisations working on the problem.
"I can't be responsible for all of Hollywood, but I can certainly be responsible for my own career," she said.
 blog it

No comments: