Friday, August 26, 2005

Day 24 (60) Relax :-)


I want one! Posted by PicasaHave felt run down so did not exercise at all today.

Have felt quite stressed about not training so much, but am actually going to try to see it as a sort of holiday, and enjoy it a little. A beer here, a burger there, a few kilograms. So what? Well, the one thing is that one wants to feel comfortable, attractive and healthy. So these are the prime motivators for training at all. But I've realised I don't need to be training at an intensity right now.

Here's why?

I did a calculation and found that the 20 week (Ironman Triathlon Training Period (maximum)) for the South African Ironman begins only in November. This is because the race is only on the 20th of March. You can also conceivably train for a race like that in just 12 weeks, and get reasonably ready.

I am not going to add another 8 weeks of training to the maximum, I'm just going to burn out.
So what I am going to do is train for fun now, and NOT train more than 3-4 times a week. 2 swims a week, 2 runs or a cycle. Nothing too strenuous unless I feel like it. In swimming I'd like to go under 3:10 in the next few weeks. Running, I'd like to run 6 laps on one day, before going back. Cycling...ho hum...maybe a few cycles in the park, and one more cycle to Imjingak.

The idea should be to maintain some fitness, and weight maintenance.
The emphasis really should be on enjoying training, and being flexible enough to do other stuff, like rollerblading or taking a trip somewhere.

No comments: