Tuesday, August 30, 2005

#1 Run


 Posted by Picasa
I started this run at a comfortable pace with Corneli. She actually did her longest outdoor run ever, over an hour (and 2 laps) so well done.
After about 2 laps I did 10 pullups. I am definitely getting stronger, as I could barely manage 10 pullups when I weighed 75kg, almost 10kg lighter than I am now.
Felt a little uncomfortable on the run. Stiff, needed the loo for number two, and felt like a swallowed a bug.

Run: 1:36
Distance: 14km
Heart rate: 144 average (181 max - Phoof!)
KCal: 1531
Temperature average: 29C (but felt cool and wet)
Pullups: 10

On cue, as I started my last lap, a Korean guy came trotting past me. I had already picked up my pace, and now I picked it up even more.
I knew I wasn't going to outrun this guy, but I thought I'd try to keep him company for at least a kilometre. I made the big bridge my target.
I really didn't want him to feel threatened and run away from me, so just tucked in gently on his shoulder. I'm sure he could hear me breathing, so he probably knew I was just measuring myself against his pace, not taking him on. Unlike all the other guys I chased, he didn't change his pace much at all.

Once or twice it just felt too hard, and then I had to dig deep. About three hundred metres from the bridge I started to fade again, and he slowed up slightly, and made a friendly gesture and said something like, "English guy, go in front".
I chuckled and gave him a few claps of my hand, and then fell back a step.
I clung on like a limpet though, and then did a last surge to stay on his shoulder as we passed under the bridge. As we did I reached forward and tapped his shoulder, barely capable of spluttering the world "Jarasayeo": well done.

Then I eased down from an absolutely exploding heartbeat (181) and shuffled slowly home. Must run at least once more this week.

It's actually a good feeling running so hard. I really feel that I'm burning it when I do. I can't imagine you can stay too heavy when you're pushing yourself as hard as I was...obviously need to do it more.

I've abandoned the Day X (X) format as I've decided to take a much more simplistic approach to training, for now; my form is not good, so I'm not going to do Ulgin. I'll just concentrate on improving my run, and very gradually work on the fitness of the other two sports.

For the record, today was Day 28. No training over the weekend.

No comments: