Wednesday, August 31, 2005

August Revisited

Some of you may remember, at the beginning of this month, I had gone through 3 diaries and found dire events in all three during the month of August. So I made a suggestion to myself: Beware of this month. It brings turmoil and transformation.

Indeed it has.
We're now in record oil territory, the 70's now instead of the 60's.
We've had a month of mayhem, war and anti-war protests.
For me personally I've nearly been fired.
One of my co-workers has given birth.
One of my best friend's has just broken up with his girlfriend.
One of the worst storms in US history has hit, and when it seemed it had spared us a fate that seemed too 'doomsday', the next day arrived with ever swelling waters
My weight has ballooned, and sleep patterns worsened even more (today is the last day of the month, and the first Wednesday in weeks where I am simply too tired to go and swim and then only eat dinner at 10pm).
And then there are other things that have happened that I won't even mention.

I wonder how many people found August to be a good month? I guess 'good' is the wrong word. It's just about change, and change is just what it is. It's only when we resist it and judge it that it can seem an unpleasant new reality.

Today is the last day of the month, and it has been an extremely muggy, filthy, sweaty, grimy day. The air has a steamy look and the skin feels slightly irritated by the junk in the air that touches against it.

Note to Planet Earth: It's the end of August, and tomorrow is September 1st. That means the beginning of spring in South Africa. So please start letting things cool down here!

No comments: