Tuesday, August 30, 2005

37/2 A New Face And Tears

I feel like I have a brand new computer, but I just have another hard disk installed, and am at the moment selecting only the eseential stuff to copy from what is now my slave drive. Really can't thank Brian enough for coming and opening up my computer last night, and toiling and tricking it into its current guise as Mr Zippy.

Despite feeling a lot of fatigue after running very hard last night, I had a restless sleep (maybe just 3-4 hours sleep). Today was the perfect candidate for a temper tantrum, and the kids were rowdy in almost all the classes. Just one of those days.
What I do if a kid just won't shutup or do anything, is I ask him if he wants a drink of water (or needs to use the restroom) and they almost always run out of the classroom, taking the noise factor with them. That's one way of regaining control of the less rowdy kids.

One little girl, Jenny, who I usually find utterly adorable, couldn't copy the sentence: I bought a book.
Number one she jumbled all the words on top of each other, so that she eventually produced:
Ibougntbook.
She's 7 years old but seems to have very poor concentration skills. How hard is it to copy shapes and lines down that are right in front of you? Frustrating to watch.

But I was pretty relaxed today, and took most of the mayhem in my stride.
There was also a new face, a new teacher sitting in the staffroom today, that I thought was a 21 or 22 year old graduate. Partly because she is just very young looking and pretty, but also because she comes across very shy and sweet. 22? Minjung turns out to be a 30 year old who studied in Tasmania (Computer Programming) and now has 2 children. Minjung's replacing Alicia's husband who is now also has two children.

The kids said they saw Sharon crying today. When I asked her about it she said she was feeling sick.

When Alicia's husband introduced me to Minjung he said, "The school materials are good, but the school's structure isn't. But that's okay, Nick's a nice guy, so you can enjoy it here."
Sometimes a small comment like that can really brighten things up.

Caught the airport bus after work, filled with air stewardesses and long distance travellers. Drew money (had W100 000 more than I expected) and then went to Newcore to buy some healthy fruit and vegetables, and some salmon. They're selling brand new bikes, quite nice, for just W59 000.

Think I'm definitely going to have an early night tonight. I have to meet a contact for extra work tomorrow at 10am at a Starbucks near here. Want to be bright eyed and bushy tailed for that.

No comments: