Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Phedra Crazy

Phedra Cut has some nasty side-effects when you're using the stuff during a long race on a hot day. If you're a little bit dehydrated - that means it's slight enough you wouldn't even know if you were - Phedra will hasten cramping.

During the Carnival City race I experienced probably the most extreme cramping ever, and I have done plenty of 150+ rides in much harsher conditions. In South Korea I once rode the second 75km with almost no water and no food. I got jittery towards the end in the 35C + heat, and high humidity. But I suffered far more during the 100km at Carnival city in less hot conditions and with two water bottles on board.

The cramping was so chronic I essentially lost the use of muscle groups for a few seconds. That's right. Muscles locked and I couldn't use them. Crazy. This also happened to various muscle groups, as though a snake was moving through both legs, finding muscles to play boa constrictor with. It is now 3 days later and I am still limping around and sore, not from the exertion, but from having to push through so many sets of muscle cramps.

I'm not slashing Phedra as something you must never use. I'm just saying it has side-effects, and one of them is it tries you out. If you use it, drink lots of water before the race, and as much as you can during the event. But my advice for 100km + races is not to use it at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In the run up to the Argus Cycle Tour, I wanted to lose about 6kg in two months. Besides training hard and eating correctly, i.e. riding 200 - 250km per week, I also decided to take Phedra Cut in Slimpack form. The weight came off easily enough and I reached my goal weight three weeks before the Argus. At the Cycle Expo I had my vital signs checked at the Medi Clinic stand and was shocked to find that my blood pressure was way high. My blood pressure is normally around 120/80 and was 149/78. I have discussed this with my Dr and he is convinced that the elevated blood pressure was caused by Phedra Cut. I have stopped taking it and will wait two weeks and then have a new reading taken to see if my blood pressure has come down to normal safe levels.