Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Jesus: It was another . . . who drank the gall and the vinegar . . . who bore the cross

SHOOT: Not sure why but this reads something like a news headline about some dude who wakes up after being in a coma for 23 years, and no one knew. Or someone who is released from jail after spending a decade or so in the slammer based on a malicious accusation or a miscarriage of justice, or both.
The Nag Hammadi Codices

The Second Treatise of the Great Seth

I alone am the Father, the Lord, and there is none other beside me. I am a jealous God, who brings the sins of the fathers upon the children for three and four generations,' as if he had become stronger than I and my brothers. Thus he was in an empty glory . . . I did not succumb to them as they had planned. But I was not afflicted at all . . . I did not die in reality but in appearance . . . I removed the shame from me . . . It was another . . . who drank the gall and the vinegar . . . who bore the cross . . . upon whom they placed the crown of thorns. But I was rejoicing in the height over all . . . I was laughing at their ignorance. I am Christ, the Son of Man."
The Nag Hammadi Library in English, translated and introduced by members of the Coptic Gnostic Library Project of the Institute for Antiquity and Christianity, Claremont, California, third edition (Leiden: E.J. Brill, 1988), pp. 368-69.
 blog it

No comments: