Tuesday, June 12, 2007

What The World Needs is a Jerry Maguire Moment

Professor Randers: Why do I speak so much of the stock market collapse? Namely to make the following point: that once you have overshot, so in the case of stock value, that once you have driven stock values up to an unsustainable level (something originally avoidable), sooner or later they have to come down. And so, collapse is a necessary consequence once you have overshot.

Jerry Maguire: Have you ever gotten the feeling that you aren't completely embarassed yet, but you glimpse tomorrow's embarrassment?

Professor Randers: I do accept that it is contested, the last time humanity was sustainable was around the mid 1980's. At that time, we had a population and an economic activity level, which could have in principle been sustained for a long period of time. And it looks as if we are currently roughly 30 per cent above the carrying capacity of the globe.

Jerry Maguire: I'm finished, I'm fucked. Twenty four hours ago, man, I was hot! Now... I'm a cautionary tale. You see this jacket I'm wearing, you like it? Because I don't really need it. Because I'm cloaked in failure!...

Rod Tidwell: Well, boo-fucking-hoo

No comments: