Thursday, September 27, 2007

MidEast Money


From The New York Times:

“I was on the phone with my mother last night and told her I was in Dubai,” said Mr. Rubenstein, a white-haired 58-year-old with large tortoise-shell-rim glasses, explaining the challenge he faces. “Of course, she asks, ‘Is it safe? There’s always bombs going off and wars,’” he recounted, rolling his eyes for effect. “I told her Dubai is probably a lot safer than Florida.”

NVDL: There's a saying amongst the arabs that goes something like this: My grandfather rode a camel, my father had a Mercedes Benz, I use a lear jet. My son will ride a camel. I wonder if the same psychology can be applied to these Las Vegas-type citadels gleaming their silver spires in the desert, air conditioners blowing around the clock to drive out infernal 50 degree heat. Can the same psychology be applied? The answer is that in a Post Carbon World - by that I mean post Oil (not post Coal) - when the oil money no longer flows, these energy sapping palaces will not surface. Sorry guys.

No comments: