Thursday, October 30, 2008

Give up blogging - it makes sense

If you quit now, you're in good company. Notorious chatterbox Jason Calacanis made millions from his Weblogs network. But he flat-out retired his own blog in July. "Blogging is simply too big, too impersonal, and lacks the intimacy that drew me to it," he wrote in his final post.

Your blog will still draw the Net's lowest form of life: The insult commenter. Pour your heart out in a post, and some anonymous troll named r0rschach or foohack is sure to scribble beneath it, "Lame. Why don't you just suck McCain's ass."

NVDL: I see my blog today more and more as a business card, and my own reference book - little more.
clipped from www.wired.com

Thinking about launching your own blog? Here's some friendly advice: Don't. And if you've already got one, pull the plug.

Writing a weblog today isn't the bright idea it was four years ago. The blogosphere, once a freshwater oasis of folksy self-expression and clever thought, has been flooded by a tsunami of paid bilge. Cut-rate journalists and underground marketing campaigns now drown out the authentic voices of amateur wordsmiths. It's almost impossible to get noticed, except by hecklers. And why bother? The time it takes to craft sharp, witty blog prose is better spent expressing yourself on Flickr, Facebook, or Twitter.
 blog it

2 comments:

Steve Hayes said...

Facebook? Twitter? They are surely the business cards. I certainly don't expect to find any informative content there -- and it's too cumbersome to find it even if it is there. And the whole thing is clogged up by people you've never heard of wanting to be "friends".

I've had very few drive-by insult commenters on my blog, and I just delete them

Nick said...

I find Facebook very useful, and must admit, I get far more interaction and feedback there (inckluding on my photography) than I get on my blog. On the other hand, I am fairly happy not to be too controversial and spending time monitoring and responding to comments. I see a blog as a resource, a portfolio. Twitter is less suited to the SA market though. I have tried to set up my phone on Twitter and it isn't straight forward. It's easier to use Twitter by going online on your phone - which ruins the original easy-functionality.