Sunday, April 20, 2008

Deja Vu and a Cypher Makeover


Agent Smith: It seems that you've been living two lives. One life, you're Thomas A. Anderson, program writer for a respectable software company. You have a social security number, pay your taxes, and you... help your landlady carry out her garbage. The other life is lived in computers, where you go by the hacker alias "Neo" and are guilty of virtually every computer crime we have a law for. One of these lives has a future, and one of them does not.

I can sympathise with Neo, and as a gesture of sympathy I'm putting myself through a facial makeover - I'm growing my moustache and a chin-line beard Cypher-style. Cypher essentially screwed up the whole Matrix, but that's not me. Actually, I identify more with Morpheus, especially where he says:

Morpheus: What is "real"? How do you define "real"?

Morpheus believed in something, so do I. I also believe in the pursuit of 'reality'. So the Cypher-image breaks down to some extent. I mean the dude says:
[talking to the unconscious Morpheus]
Cypher: If you'd told us the truth, we would've told you to shove that red pill right up your ass.
and...
Cypher: You know, I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize?
[Takes a bite of steak]
Cypher: Ignorance is bliss.

Nevertheless I appear to be perceived by some - in cycling and other areas - as 'the enemy', or apparently ignorant (or arrogant). I was thinking I might as well go with it eh...I mean, in terms of image and appearances.

No comments: