Tuesday, November 29, 2005

On The Run

The counter has started screaming upward as of late. Am I getting a hundred hits a day now?

Yesterday I took out a 1 year membership at Virgin Active. 6 months is just under R2000 and 1 year is just over R2000. Anyway, for those (in South Africa), who keep asking me, “How long do you intend to stay?” and sometimes, appended to that “-in Bloemfontein?” you now have your answer: “At least 1 year.”

Sitting in the booth, talking to a fitness consultant, I felt an irresistible urge to train. Bloemfontein’s Virgin Active is one of the best in the world. I can say that, because I have trained in gym’s all over the world. This facility has all the stuff a gym needs, under one roof. The pool is built into the training area, so that the balcony overlooks the pool. It has plenty of parking, an important for any good gym: it doesn’t get overcrowded because it’s designed as a sort of spacious warehouse. I’ll try to take some pictures, if they’ll let me.

For those of you who want pictures of specific sights in Bloemfontein, tell me what you want and I’ll see what I can do. I’ll probably get some pictures of the Waterfront, College Square and Mimosa up sometime this evening. If it’s boring for the Bloemfonteiners reading this blog, well, it’s not meant for you: it’s meant for people very far from home. Daniel, this means you.

Although I’ve signed up, the membership only kicks in on Thursday (December 1st). I did this intentionally because I am still not feeling as fit as fiddle. I don’t wake up with a sore throat any more, but there is still a slight cough, a feeling of fever and weakness, and some gunk in my nose. The good news is I have a deep inward yearning to train, which is building, like a wave, on a daily basis. I haven’t felt that, a feeling as strong as that (to train), for a few months.
Tomorrow at 1pm I am going cycling with Francois Vorster at 1pm. Just an easy run of the mill cycle on the Kimberely road. 40km.
I ran into Francois at Mimosa a few days ago. He was carrying his baby and looking around for his wife. He says he’s going to France in a few months to open a church.

It’s also Hannes’ (Ilze’s ex boyfriend’s) birthday on Friday. He turns 30. Hannes says ‘the other longhair’, Marius, will be coming down. Should be good.
Other news:
Gold is edging closer to $500
Platinum is at $1000
Leon Schuster’s latest movie has just come out, Mama Jack. He’s South Africa’s most successful and consistent filmmaker. And he’s from Bloemfontein. I’d like to interview him and possibly collaborate with a semi-serious script about the Bushmen. Something meaningful and lighthearted at the same time. I’m also trying to arrange a meeting with an ex-lecturer of mine, Manuella Lovisa, to talk about Virginia Woolf and the idea of studying English as a profession.
Have made some progress on getting details pertaining to Lance Armstrong’s visit to South Africa here. The cheapest tickets are R1000, and the most expensive R3 500.

Justus has suggested I send the H5N1 interview (see yesterday’s post) to the Mail & Guardian. Need to edit it and have Prof. Bragg fact check it. But it’s an exciting thought.

And my box arrived from South Korea over the weekend. Mostly books, and hopefully some shoes, or else I’ll have to buy some. I’m almost 1 minute late for lunch so have to run…

No comments: